Besides energy saving, controllability is the next highly expected feature of LED Lighting over Traditional Lighting. However, such a control aspect seems to be missing in daily applications. Since 2015, we've been developing & marketing Phase Dimmers* and related products to address LED dimming control.
Driven by our project field experience, we developed a new type of Tunable White control using Phase Dimming & 0-10V technologies, which gives our Tunable White Controller (DZ1G300TUNE) & Dynamic Lighting Controllers (DZ2G300TUNE_TOGG / _PUSH). It's our goal to lower the technical and costs barriers for different Circadian Lighting or Commercial applications that desire Multi-Purpose Lighting.
* Our 450W / 220-240Vac Single Live-wire Operational Trailing-edge LED Phase Dimmers released to market includes DZ2G450DIAL & DZ1G450CAPS (2015), DZ3G450DIAL (2017), DZ4G450MULT (2018). In 2017, our DZ3G450DIAL was listed as a SORAA® Compatible dimmer. In Q2 2021, an Enhanced version of DZ3G450DIAL has been available.
In this Application Video Library, we shared a number of interesting topics on LED dimming or how our products can be applied in different scenarios.
No Dimmable LED Drivers are Equal: Meanwell vs. HEP TRIAC Dimmable LED DriversDimmable LED drivers are critical components for LED dimming performance, so the advice is always to understand if the proposed system can meet the desired performance before selecting a LED driver for a dimming project. But the fact is no dimmable LED drivers are equal. Before we’re able to make an educated decision, it would be good if we have an understanding of how the LED driver brands behave differently as compared to each other, which can significantly improve the project success rate and reduce the time required for searching for the right products.
In this video, we’d compare the dimming performance of two Phase Dimmable (also known as TRIAC Dimmable) LED Drivers that are popular in the market. We also comment how DIMEZE™ dimmers can be used in the different scenario. In this setup, we have our DIMEZE™ LED dimmer evaluation box that takes the 220Vac input and provides a 220Vac phase-cut output to the Phase-Dimmable (TRIAC Dimmable) LED drivers. Two phase-dimmable (TRIAC Dimmable) LED drivers are connected in parallel, the Meanwell PCD-16-350B, and the HEP LMTC10W350Z, both of which are 350mA constant current output drivers. Since both drivers have different output voltage ranges, we have the drivers connected to the 36V / 700mA and 18V / 700mA CITIZEN COBs respectively for our demonstration.
In this video, we’ve shown that
- Both drivers can support Deep-Dimming and can dim the COBs to no light output level.
- The Meanwell PCD-16-350B driver has a more obvious dimming effect than the HEP LMTC10W350Z.
- The HEP LMTC10W350Z can dim more deeply than Meanwell PCD-16-350B. However, the light output at the very low level becomes shaky. For concerned customers, our suggestion is to utilize the DIMEZE™ LED dimmer’s Minimum-Brightness-Level feature to adapt to the driver for a Flicker-free Deep Dimming performance.
- Please refer to this video for utilizing the Minimum-Brightness-Level feature to provide a flicker-free dimming performance.